How to Use Course 1
Welcome to UFM!
We're glad you're here. You are about to begin one of life's greatest and most fulfilling journeys - the path to your own successful consulting career.
Our objective in Course 1 is simple: Convince you that you are capable of starting your own consulting business. That you have the skills. That you have the network. That you have the plan.
Most people think that starting a business is all about filing paperwork with the state, or launching a website, or finding new clients. Yes, all of those things are important (and the full UFM course covers all of them), but here is the biggest secret to being successful: YOUR MINDSET. That's why we focus on that so much during this course. If you don't start out in the correct frame of mind, everything else gets harder.
Luckily, we've done it before. You're about to get a crash course in rediscovering how powerful you really are!
Here's how to use this course:
- The first lesson shows you that you have more options than you thought ... and introduces you to the concept of the "fractional" marketer or communicator. You'll start to identify your assets - and what you'll need - to get started.
- The next set of lessons are "Special Situations" - go ahead and select those that apply to you and complete them. While we feel it will be valuable to understand the broader set of perspectives, you're busy. If you don't have kids, you don't need to complete the "kids" worksheets!
- The next two lessons ask you to build your skills inventory and your 90-day transition plan. When you're finished, you will have the confidence you need to get started.
- The "Business Setup" lessons walk you through the questions to ask to ensure you've checked all the right boxes with your federal, state, and local officials.
- Finally, the "Mindset" lessons explore the psychology to being "on your own" and what that means in today's economy - through those lessons, you will demonstrate to yourself that you have what it takes to get started!
A final word about this course: UFM is all about active learning. That means you can listen to us talk about what you need to do all day long, but if you don't "make it yours", the lessons won't stick. Give yourself the gift of completing each worksheet. Even if you don't complete every line item ... or if you need to add a section, you will internalize the plan at a deeper level.
As you go through the course, we invite you to comment and ask questions. We're happy to jump in and answer - you'll not only be helping yourself, but your comments will help others improve their own journeys. We're all in this together!
It's time to separate yourself from all of those other people who talk about starting their own business, all of those people who sit in a cubicle, and all of those people who are frustrated their boss (or their company) cannot use their skills.
You can do this.